Xiaoyu's Blog

Friday, April 26, 2019

ACMI Presents: Wonderland

Sometimes I wonder how long can I leave this blog without updates.
This is probably the longest? About 5 months no entry?
I guess I'm living my life in the present more - see: Instagram Stories.
But one thing for sure - I will never ever shut down this blog. I dunno if I ever gonna stop blogging (as of now it is highly unlikely I will quit), it's just that I am inactive here.
I wish there were more events for me to attend so I can write about them.
Well, I shall cut to the chase & get on with this blog post.
Ong & I went to visit Alice in the Wonderland (AITW) exhibition in ArtScience Museum!
The exhibition is called 'Wonderland', which is developed by ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image).
A little background about ACMI:
"ACMI is the most visited moving image museum in the world, and Australia’s national museum of film, videogames, digital culture and art - situated in Melbourne. ACMI connects and fosters creative industries by illuminating the moving images and technologies that define our age and presents a vibrant calendar of exhibitions, films and events."
Source

I am extremely STOKED for it!!!
I fucking love Alice in the Wonderland!!
If you like the story, or films, we definitely can vibe together.
My favourite character, other than my dear Alice, would be Mad Hatter!

Thanks to Ong who is a member of MBS, we get to have 1-for-1 tickets.
They only allow batches by batches inside the exhibition, which was a good move because you don't want it to be overcrowded. That'll spoil the experience.
We were giving maps before going in. Apparently it contains riddles & clues for you to crack.
There were different identities of the map too, but both Eve & I got the same identity.


We both got White Rabbit as the head & pocket watch as the secret symbol.
I couldn't keep still while waiting to enter!!! Like a little girl all giddy up!
As soon as we enter, I was already in my amazed-mood.
Getting curiouser & curiouser 😉
There was a guide in the beginning, explaining to us what's the use of the special map, to look for 'Easter Eggs' inside the exhibition. I shan't spoil anymore!
There were doors that leads to more doors!
I was loving the concept hehehe.




The OG Alice who inspired Lewis Carroll to write about the story. 
I was literally 'OMGOSH! IT'S ALICE!'
Some of the photos of the artworks were taken by Eve, others by me.
As I appreciate artwork, I was in awe... in awe...
From book, to film, to animation, to plays, to everything!!

Some of the original as well as adaptions:
Fun fact: Japan & China adapted Alice in the Wonderland into their own version!

Magic Lantern Slides
Magic Lantern Slides
Magic Lantern Slides

Concept Art
Concept Art

My boo and me

Eve took this pic. Says Alice knows how to post like modern girls now, plus can use as phone wallpaper.


As you can see, Walt Disney's artwork of Alice in the Wonderland changes
Probably by different artists working in the studio? I'm not very sure.

As we continue, there was an activity section (like many ArtScience Museum exhibition we've been too!), & again we were let in batches by batches.
Reason because there were only some tables & stools, in addition, each batch of guests have a Tea Party invitation that are unique.


The activity section is for you to be creative with the stickers provided, come up with your design & then you can 'publish' your artwork as the body of a Card Soldier, with your face as the soldier!
Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of my art piece or Eve's, because it keeps moving in the big screen.

Can you guess which one is mine?




There were limited time to do your stickers publishing them, which I dunno exactly how long we're given, but luckily we managed to finished everything just in time for the staff to call our invitation for the Tea Party.
She gave us a short but clear briefing on the safety & the Do's & Don't's , to which she also mention the Tea Party is also the highlight of the exhibition.
When people say 'highlight' to the programme or whatever, I usually have high expectation.
At first I expected each guests to receive one small piece of cupcake or cake roll, but then food & beverages aren't allowed in. So okay.
I thought there'd be Mad Hatter & March Hare & Alice to be sitted in between us as to really feel like I'm in the Tea Party.
That'll DEFINITELY make the child in me giggle up!!
But of course, the staff said it's a 4.5 minutes interactive experience.
So what you do? You sit down doing nothing but watch what's happening around you for 4 minutes & a half.
One word: Underwhelming.

Before


After the Tea Party, it's the end of the exhibition.
Needless to say, I wish it was longer.
As a big fan of AITW, I would go back again!

The exhibition runs now till 22 September so you still have a long time before it move to another country!
They have various admission time so be sure to check out their page.

Afterwards we took some touristy shots outside ArtScience Museum.

























 
Our selfies weren't coming out prettily, & she said we looked like we were dressed for funeral...
Perhaps that's why 😂
I wonder why I didn't see any official AITW merchandise...
Would've bought an enamel pin or something 😝

Afterwards we went to eat at Din Tai Fung because we were thinking of Xiao Long Bao...
So yummy!!

I wonder what interesting exhibition there will be in future??
Perhaps a Looney Tunes one???

No comments: