Xiaoyu's Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dialogue in the dark

Hello everybody! :)
School was special today!
Firstly, during recess time, the last 2 person to eat finish was Eve and me.
Both she and I were chewing with our mouth closed, and I was sitting in front of Huishan, so she observed our chewing style.
She say that Eve's chomping style was normal, and mine was like weird.
I was like, wth? Each and everyone got their own way of eating mah.
Some eat with their mouth open some take another bite without chewing finish their first bite or what-so-ever. xD
Eve observed me, and she say I chew like 'washing machine'.
I guessed that's how I chew, and since then they started calling me washing machine. =3=

Anyway, at 2pm, I left Chemistry class early to gather with my Netball mates 'cause we are going to Dialogue in the DARK.
I dunno whats that, and I'm pretty excited abourit! :D

So the bus took us to Ngee Ann Polytechnic, and I only can say, the school is FREAKING HUGE!
I mean, you can get lost in there omg.
Plus, the library is so nice and there is EACH-A-CUP INSIDE THE LIBRARY!
Damn awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome!!
Anyway, back to DID.
We were split in three groups, and my group gets to experience the thing first.
When we enter the room, it is complete darkness - whether you open your eyes or close your eyes, it is Pitch Black, pretty scary and I got freaked out a little because I couldn't see anything, obviously.
Our guide is called Kelvin.
And this guide is no ordinary Kelvin, I'll tell you more at the end of the post :D

The objective of this is to let us feel how is it like to be a blind, how the blind adapt to its dark environment and the skills to live like a normal person.
We we led into a park - birds singing, grass and pebble pavement, real plants and a bridge.
Everything inside there is real, not fake.
Not in sequence, we proceed to the Singapore River, we rode in the Sampan Boat.
The feeling is very real! The 'boat' is floating on water and the wind blowing to us, when the boat start to 'operate', the engine sound very real I thought we were really riding inside the room for a moment.
It was very cold when the wind blow at our body! Water were splashed at us to let us feel the Merlion splashing water, because its at Singapore River mah.
Next Kelvin brought us to cross a road, we can hear the busy traffic and the traffic light.
The one that goes 'tu-tu--tu--tu--tu' when there's green man.
When we cross the road, Kelvin told us 3 of us have 'died' 'cause we are still standing on the road. xD
After that we were brought into a market, where we get to feel food and fruits like onion, oranges, corn and all.
Ooh, there's even ATM and public phone! :D
After the busy and noisy market, Kelvin led us to the cafe where we can buy snacks or drinks if we want. I bought a cookie! It's nice :)
We sat on the bench and Kelvin chatted with us, saying how the blind know how much the money is and such.
For coins, they feel the size and the sound produced when hit on a table.
The blind they feel notes by their size and the small braille on the top-right hand corner.

They feel a little bump on the small dot there, where the arrow points.
So we chatted and such, and it is time the DID end ):
It was very fun! Using the walking stick to feel the walls and such.
I want to experience more! :D
Ok so here is what I want to say:
Our guide, Kelvin, is actually....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Kelvin Tan Wei Lian! A.K.A ! ι™ˆδΌŸθ”
I couldn't believe that our guide was actually a famous singer in our country!!!!!!!!!!!
Good thing that we are the first group to go :D
He was very humorous and actually joke with us along the way!
He never stopped talking, and we were all entertained and asked him silly questions! xD
Kelvin is very patient with us and is a very good guide :D
At the end, I din't catch a glimpse of his face! ): Our eyes were glared by the lights outside the room, too hard to see his face ):
Then before we left the room, we played a game, guessing which famous people have problems.
They includes Kelvin Tan our guide, Lee Kuan Yew, Beethoven, Albert Einstein, Muhammad Ali.
What surprised me was Beethoven, is blind and deaf.
So how could he become a genius in music????!
What I learn in this is that being blind is not the end of the world. You live in a pitch of darkness but you still can slowly get used to it. Using a walking stick as your third hand, you are able to go through the difficulties.
Although it is not easy, but take one step at a time, one day you will be able to do it. :)
Like Kelvin Tan, he may not be able to see a rainbow but he had sure put colours to my life :)
This is indeed a true experience and let people know that there is no windows for the blind to see, but there is a door in their heart to open up to kind people around the world.
What I learn in this is that being blind is not the end of the world. You live in a pitch of darkness but you still can slowly get used to it. Using a walking stick as your third hand, you are able to go through the difficulties. Although it is not easy, but take one step at a time, one day you will be able to do it. :) Like Kelvin Tan, he may not be able to see a rainbow but he had sure put colours to my life :)
This is indeed a true experience and let people know that there is no windows for the blind to see, but there is a door in their heart to open up to kind people around the world.
I'm done here, see you around!
Bloopbloop~

No comments: